Saturday 6 December 2014

Dreamscape Book

My longest brief this year has been to produce an artists book on the theme of "scape". I started with some research, taking photos of the landscape and the cityscape.




Next I did some sketchbook work on the theme of dreamscape, trying to work out how I wanted my book to look. I had an idea about trying to make dreams visual/real and spent lots of time in the darkroom trying to make "photos" of dreams using painted acetate as a negative and experimenting with photograms. 




I got some interesting effects but I didn't really feel that it was working so I went back to the black and white photos I took at Tentsmuir Beach.




I liked these photos and the ambiguity of what the building was - it gave a feeling of the surreal which tied in with my dream theme. I experimented with overlaying feathers onto the photo paper before exposing them which gave an interesting ghostly effect.





Eventually I developed an idea and made the finished book using photos I developed and cellulose transfers. I decided to make the content of the book quite ambiguous, tying in the idea of Native American dreamcatchers and the process of film photography. Here's the result.



No comments:

Post a Comment