Wednesday 4 March 2015

A Taste Of Honey Set and Poster Design

My first project this semester was a set and poster design on a given play, I was assigned Shelagh Delaney's "A Taste of Honey", a "kitchen-sink drama" from the 1950's.


The play contained lots of themes of motherhood and poverty which I wanted to tie into the poster. There were also themes of homophobia and racism which I felt were more relevant in Russia today than in Britain which is where the play was originally set. 


I did some research into set design and Russian housing and architecture.




For the poster design I took some photos of a baby doll to reference a key scene in the play where a character throws a doll to the ground to represent her own rejection by her mother and subsequent rejection of her child. I screenprinted it with text over it inspired by Constructivism which was a bit of an obvious choice but worked pretty well:


I wanted to keep the set design quite minimal based on tower blocks with an inside/outside section. I used a slide projector to project onto the set and made slides by printing onto acetate and painting and scratching over it with brusho ink.




No comments:

Post a Comment