Saturday 25 February 2017

Fumetto

"Worlds – Where do you live and where do I live? Every story needs pictures, so I will make myself a picture of you. However, what do we really know about each other? How does your world influence mine and and mine yours? How does the world that we are creating together look?"

Following this oddly phrased brief for the Fumetto comic competition, I came up with quite an abstract narrative about two characters from different environments coming together and subverting each others' worlds.






The two characters - a disembodied hand and a pair of shears - live respectively in an environment delineated by positive/negative grids and a creased patterned fabric environment. The irony is that the characters are more suited to each others worlds, with a playful opposition of soft vs. rigid.

I spent a very long time working out compositions for each page, choosing a progressively more unconventional format to reflect the disruption caused by interaction between characters.

I chose to produce the comics using acetone transfers and screen-printing to clearly mark the separate worlds. I printed the characters on different papers and cut and pasted them onto the backgrounds which was more time-consuming than I'd anticipated - careful registration to integrate the characters into the prints would have probably been more effective, but I've learned my lesson!

The brief restricted the comic to a maximum of 4 loose-leaf pages of A4 or A3 size - here are my final prints on A3 paper:





No comments:

Post a Comment