Wednesday 30 July 2014

Universe Journal

“We inhabit a universe where atoms are made in the centers of stars; where each second a thousand suns are born; where life is sparked by sunlight and lightning in the airs and waters of youthful planets; where the raw material for biological evolution is sometimes made by the explosion of a star halfway across the Milky Way; where a thing as beautiful as a galaxy is formed a hundred billion times - a Cosmos of quasars and quarks, snowflakes and fireflies, where there may be black holes and other universe and extraterrestrial civilizations whose radio messages are at this moment reaching the Earth. How pallid by comparison are the pretensions of superstition and pseudoscience; how important it is for us to pursue and understand science, that characteristically human endeavor. ” 
Carl Sagan, Cosmos


The project I did on the big bang is one I suspect I will keep revisiting. Recently I found an amazing quote by Carl Sagan which summed up everything I feel about science and decided to incorporate a shortened version into another book.


This book was pretty simply made, I just wanted to test out an idea I had about using holes to show expansion.


I used fineline pen and a ruler to draw out the lines, collage, and watercolours.


I like the way the image builds up and almost creates a mirror image effect.


I finished the book off using a photo I had taken of my friend Maya at Mills Observatory in Dundee, which I had liked but hadn't found a use for yet. I liked the shadow clock and thinking about the different ways that people try and chart time.


No comments:

Post a Comment