Tuesday 15 December 2015

Magnolia/Manifesto Project

My second last project for Illustration was called Magnolia/Manifesto. We were each given a Dulux colour sample to explore - I got "pocketful of posies", a sort of dark pink, which isn't really a colour I'm that interested in.




Nonetheless I played about with the colour a bit looking at complementing and contrasting it as well as looking at the connotations of bright pink. I then decided to look at the name of the colour which relates to the bubonic plague.


For the next stage of the project we got paired up with second years - I was paired with a guy called James who had a nice blue colour. We were tasked to produce a manifesto relating to the two colours and the research we had been doing individually which was quite a bizarre task which we didn't know how to approach.

He had been drawing whales, so we decided to combine my drawings of rats with his whale drawings and make the manifesto a peace treaty between whales and rats...


We thought about how each animal would write and decided that rats would have very scratchy letters whereas whales would write in long flowing lines. I combined everything in a two-colour screenprint with the whale and rat forming a sort of ying yang type shape which I then stuck up in "rat" locations around the art school.


No comments:

Post a Comment