Wednesday 23 March 2016

Cartocon Window Display - Sketchbooking

I've been doing a module on enterprise this semester which has got me thinking about how to promote myself. In that spirit I recently had a fortuitous meeting which has led to a pretty cool opportunity.

Cartocon is a new menswear and lifestyle shop on Nethergate which stocks several brands including its own label. I went in for a peek recently and got talking to one of the company directors, Shafeeq, and he mentioned that they were keen to do projects with local artists/students. This got me thinking about what I could offer them in terms of my own work.

All my fans will know that I did a window display for Urban Outfitters a couple of years ago which was an amazing chance to work with a big brand and gain some design skills. Urban Outfitters and Cartocon have a similar target customer so I thought the Cartocon guys might be interested in my work. I took the plunge and emailed Shafeeq with some photos of my work and a proposal to do a window display. Fortunately he was really keen on the idea so I've been discussing it with him and the Creative Director of Cartocon, Nathan, for the past few weeks.

Luckily for me they are both completely on board with the idea and have given me a lot of freedom. Their only stipulation was that the design should include their logo in some capacity and should only cover roughly the top third of the window. Cartocon's windows are a lot smaller than Urban Outfitters so should hopefully present much less of a technical challenge.


I started by thinking about the logo, looking for patterns in my surroundings and just getting some sketchbook pages filled.



I love the Crawford Building of DJCAD so I took some photos and started abstracting some of the shapes and forms of the building.





I also looked at the shapes of coat hangers with clothes on them that I'd photographed in the shop and played about with drawing and layering them.



Next stage was working up some designs which I will be posting soon! Really excited about taking this project through to completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment