Wednesday 2 March 2016

Growth and Form Prints

For my second self-initiated mini print project I decided to play about with screen printing bolder shapes than usual and using different materials to block the screen. Since last term I've been dipping in and out of D'Arcy Thompson's On Growth and Form, a textbook on mathematical biology which is a surprisingly good read, I promise... Anyway there are some really interesting points of inspiration about design in nature which I picked up on and decided to make some prints relating to structure in leaves so I poached a couple from a bush on campus, sourced a piece of netting from a satsuma box, and played about with some monoprints:


I love the simple almost photographic tonal quality of these prints and decided to incorporate the monoprint method into my final screen prints.


No comments:

Post a Comment