Friday 1 August 2014

Short Film



For the 4 week project at the end of this year at art school, all the communication designers had to choose an audio clip from a selection and make a screen short to accompany it. This was quite a daunting task for me as I tend to work with my hands, only occasionally using my basic computer skills, so the project was quite a learning curve. The clip I chose made me think of state control and dehumanisation - I think the tutors took it from a film but I'm not sure what one - I think if I had chosen a familiar clip it would have been more difficult to come up with an original visual concept. Anyway, I decided to create visuals which compared soldiers to farm animals blindly following orders and not being individual - probably an obvious link but I felt it illustrated what I was getting at pretty well. As usual I used collage for this project, but I think the video format added a new dimension to my usual technique although my computer skills are still a bit lacking.


I had a bit of extra time at the end of the project so I made a few posters parodying the army and navy's promotional slogans "be the best" and "life without limits". To me these slogans are ironic - I don't see how you can be the best when you are constantly being told to do, and I think living and working in these institutions must be extremely limiting. 




No comments:

Post a Comment