Saturday 2 August 2014

Memories Project


One of my projects this year was based around the idea of memories. I started by thinking about how memories can change over time, how you can alter memories by retelling them, and how memories of the same event can differ from person to person. I then spent a while sitting about reading the old newspapers which were lying about the studio to avoid having to do any work. After a couple of days of doing absolutely nothing I panicked a bit and started cutting out and playing about with some of the pictures from the newspapers, painting over images or using masking tape to peel them back.


The picture of the boys wearing purple is actually an old school photo which was printed in a newspaper article about institutional sex abuse (pretty topical right now sadly). I started thinking about how all the boys in the photos would have had different memories of their school days, and how the physical "visual memory" or photo, with rows of smiling faces showed a completely different picture than what actually happened. 


One of my tutors suggested I tried a acetone transfer print and showed me how to use the printing press and acetone to take a print from a photocopy. I made A3 copies of some of my sketchbook pages and layered them up in the prints which I think gave a very subtle ambiguous effect which showed exactly what I was thinking about. To complete the images I peeled back a couple of black and white newspaper photos using masking tape and simply stuck them on top which I think grounded the images well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment