Tuesday 6 October 2015

SOS Project Development

After my crit the other week I decided to develop my third idea for the SOS project so I started looking at American motels and people like Ed Ruscha and Stephen Shore. I liked the idea of the road trip - a part of American culture that's fading away due to the increasing popularity of air travel and was interested in the idea of boom towns and once successful businesses left behind.


It was difficult working out how to portray my motel as the temptation was to throw loads of media at it and draw a big sign and loads of details which I think actually detracted from the meaning of the image.


Although I liked the look of it I knew it wasn't portraying the feeling of isolation I wanted and had achieved in earlier images, so I pared back the design and changed the scale and perspective.


I initially drew my final piece in the wrong scale so added in bits of paper around it, intending to take away the visible seams using photoshop, however when it was cropped down I actually quite liked the effect and decided to keep it, which also meant less work to do as a bonus. I'm pretty happy with the final piece which is quite different from the kind of thing I usually do and hopefully captures an atmosphere nicely.


No comments:

Post a Comment